The Carbon Copy is a kick ass analog delay. But one thing that always bugged me about it is that it came with a Mod button to add pitch shifting to the repeats, yet even with the internal trims cranked it did basically nothing. What a waste. I wasn’t alone in this opinion and a while back MXR modded the pedal to add more Mod. It happens that the modification is very simple. But it’s not easy to find information on the Internet. The designer of the pedal (who goes by Mr. Huge) had posted info at one point, but I couldn’t track down what he said. However the V2 Carbon Copy MXR released has a jumper (000 resistor) in R7 instead of the 470K resistor and that’s all it takes! R7 is an SMD resistor (most of the components on the board are SMD). It’s located near the top of the board. Generally SMD circuits are difficult to work with, but in this case, don’t worry, this is easier to do than most through hole mods. You don’t even have to remove the circuit board. Put a little solder on your iron and hit the two sides of R7. It will slide right off. Grab it with tweezers. Solder a jumper in its place (you could use a small piece of solid wire, the leads from a through hole component, whatever). The trimpots controlling the modulation will now have a very usable range going from extremely subtle to rather noticeable. As it should have always been!
The Small Clone has been around for a long time and it’s still a staple on pedal boards these days. I picked one up for the first time last year and while I do like it, it’s a bit intense for my liking. I looked around for mods and I found interesting options. The main ones I’ve seen are adding a vibrato switch, replacing the depth knob with a potentiometer and adding a blend knob. I was considering doing all three, however after looking into the depth pot mod, I decided it didn’t seem to work as advertised. I couldn’t find any good sound examples showing what the pedal sounds like with a depth pot added and in fact, I saw at least one post claiming that the mod doesn’t work properly. I decided instead to do just the blend knob mod, since it adds a lot of tonal control and as a bonus can get a vibrato effect without a separate mod. And it’s a very simple mod:
Look on the circuit board for R17, R18 and R19. They form a “T” junction together. R17 (20K) connects to the wet signal (it has a vibrato effect on it, which is to say it is oscillating up and down in pitch). R18 (22K) connects to the original dry signal. Both R17 and R18 connect to R19 on their way to the pedal’s output. So basically R17 and R18 are a static blend circuit. This mod removes those and replaces them with a potentiometer so the blend can be controlled. I desoldered R17 and R18 completely. Doing this leaves four empty holes on the circuit board. Solder some hookup wire into both of the outer holes and into one of the inner holes (it doesn’t matter which, they’re connected together on the circuit board). Solder the wire that was originally R17 directly to pin one of a 50K linear pot (looking from the top of the pot, count the pins from left to right). Connect the R18 wire to a resistor (optional, but it prevents a fully dry signal, which is useless. I used 1K, but I recommend higher than that) and then connect that resistor to pin 3 of the pot. Finally run a wire from the middle lug (pin 2) of the pot to either of the middle holes on the circuit board. The other hole remains unused which I think really opens up the tone of the pedal…
I made a video to show what it sounds like. There’s one kink I’ve noticed. When the circuit is at full vibrato or close to full clean, there’s a bit of a boost. Perhaps this could be fixed with a more complex circuit, but I don’t consider it much of a problem. Also, the vibrato signal is a bit noisy on it’s own.
This will eventually be home to a Tonebender style fuzz. The house still smells like spray paint (my roommate is not pleased) and the paint is not full dry, but here is a photo. I added some custom texturing on the sides (okay, it’s a bunch of schmotz blown on there accidentally by a fan). I already have most of the parts, including the matched germanium transistors, however I took the extra classy step of designing a proper PCB which is now being fabricated care of OSH Park. I’ve been projecting hard these last few weeks. I’m continuing with the Colorsound Wah mentioned below. I played with the circuit some more last night and it sounds great. I’ve worked out some of the distortion issues I was having. It will be a while yet before it’s complete, though, since I’m waiting on a linear style pot which is back ordered and shipping from Germany… I also have quite a few design decisions. In the meantime, I put a switchable buffer in my Crybaby. I’ll try to get some sounds from that here soon. I’m hoping it will now sound a lot better paired with my Fuzz Face style fuzz (the Facc-Face).