As expected I (and everyone else who entered) passed though Round 0 of Nur Ein, so this week I made a new song for Round 1 (note: see earlier post for an explanation of Nur Ein). The title is “Average Circus” and the challenge is to use something from the trash as an instrument. I grabbed an empty jam jar, filled it with some water and tuned it as close as I could to a standard note. I think it ended up being in the ballpark of a B. I sampled a wooden spoon hit against it and then put that into Renoise, which automatically pitch shifts relative to notes played on a keyboard. That saved me from having to try and get different notes from the jar, but on the flip side, it doesn’t sound natural. On top of that, I added some effects to the sound. In the end, it sounds more like a synth than a jam jar. Not sure if the judges will be happy with that.
The song itself was tough for me to write. I didn’t like the title at all. It’s too restrictive. I tried a bunch of different angles over the week. Both lyrically and musically. I spent a long time with my drum machine, which rarely results in a song… In the end, I tuned my acoustic to an open D (or something close to that) and played a standard blues progression using a slide. Then I added a chorus that feels more like a bridge. I like the chorus, but the rest of the song is bland. It came out a bit less messy than last weeks song, but has a lot less character.
The submission I put in last week, by the way, didn’t fare well. 18 out of 23, with the 23rd being a troll (someone recorded themselves repeating “meow” over and over). I’m not entirely surprised. There were a lot of strong submissions and my entry wasn’t as solid as it could have been. I don’t have much confidence I’ll make it through to Round 2, but if I do, I’ll be back with another song by the end of next week.