I was browsing around Youtube one day (as I am known to do) and ran into the wonderful quacks of a Colorsound wah pedal.
Anyway, I was like “Ooooooooooo, that’s sexy.” But the going rate on these guys is completely bonkers. So I figured, “How hard could it be to build one?” (this is what gets me in trouble). I immediately set out to find a broken wah so I could commandeer the shell. I found a Crybaby (duh) gutted it up and started screwing around. I’m working from these sources:
Day one of the project has involved drawing up plans, populating a breadboard, switching out random parts and endlessly quacking. Every little change to the circuit causes the sound to be totally different. Thinner, fatter, overdriven, wide, whacky, aggressive. It’s quite a task figuring out exactly what parts to settle on. So far I’ve only played it at home direct into my computer. That isn’t the best test. I’m hoping to take this show on the road (i.e. to my practice space) where I can blast the funk through a proper amp. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, here are the results of my first day’s efforts.